Sunday 3 November 2013

28th Anniversary of being Wrongly Convicted.

Andrew Hunter

The 28th of October is yet another anniversary, the date when 10 jury members concluded that I was guilty of murder. It seems odd that the burden of proof required for a guilty verdict is ‘Beyond Reasonable Doubt,’ and yet two jury members were not convinced I was guilty. It’s difficult to reconcile the fact that the jury found me (83%) guilty, then the Home Secretary imposed a new sentence announced in 1994, ensuring that I die in jail, that certainty was not shared by the jury or the trial judge.

I am busy researching a lot of material thanks to former police officers DCI Ainsley, DI Miller, DI Cook and DS Jones who are being so helpful in their trail of handwritten material and interviews with my relatives. The City of London Police and the Metropolitan police have also obliged by saving a lot of the former Public Interest Immunity material including many copies of my relatives' draft statements which don’t reflect the final copies submitted to the courts.

A lot of people have asked where we are with new submissions to the CCRC and these are still being prepared and we are awaiting further forensic reports instructed by my lawyer Simon McKay. There needs to be a thorough and comprehensive submission and this takes time to complete.

Since my last blog there was an article in the Mail on Sunday by Glen Owen about Andrew Hunter's book about my case. Again, further evidence has surfaced showing that I am innocent and that Sheila had been walking about the house, which is contrary to what police officers and the pathologist claimed in their statements made after the original investigation.

This month also saw the 80th anniversary of the Osea Road Caravan Park which Ann Eaton and Pamela Boutflour ran alongside my Mum, June Bamber. I was stunned to find that there was no mention of my Mum in their recent article on the Osea Leisure, caravan site, which is now run by Janie Robinson, Ann’s daughter. I don’t care about the lies that my relatives say about me, but it is the way that my parents and sister have been portrayed wrongly by the relatives that really upsets me. This last piece of media completely ignored the achievements that my Mum contributed to the caravan park during her 20 years of shared ownership and day to day running of it. I think the article speaks for itself in telling you that my relatives felt nothing for my Mum despite telling the police how much they loved and cared for her. If you want to find out more truths about how my relatives benefited upon my conviction please see this video or my interview in the Times Magazine from 2010.

Further debate has been happening in the house of Lords this week on theWhole Life Sentence issue. I’m sure that the British Government will wait until the Grand Chamber’s 6 month deadline comes to an end, to make a decision on whether or not to put reviews back into life sentences as they were until the Criminal Justice Act was altered in 2003.

Finally I heard news this week of the sad death of Susan May, who was a dear friend and fought like a lioness to prove her innocence. She will be sadly missed by all those who knew her.

As another anniversary of my wrongful conviction passes, it is with many thanks to all my friends and supporters whose kind letters keep me fighting against the injustice that I live daily.

Jeremy

Jeremy Bamber

Jeremy Bamber
Innocent Jeremy Bamber